Narrative

                                                 Who Could Had Guessed 

                                 A Cliche Narrative on Growth and Transformation 


No purpose in life, constant digital stimulation, and doing just enough to pass school. To give more context about myself, I was the type to reject every suggestion my mother made, whether it was about starting a hobby, making friends, or venturing outside. I was a complete homebody, unadventurous, and very much directionless. My brother, whom I always looked up to for his seemingly innate abilities in skills, socializing, and sports, left for army basic training during the summer following my culmination of middle school. Reflecting on my middle school life, I couldn't point to any significant memories' worth mentioning, and unsurprisingly, I wasn't content. However, with my brother's departure, I experienced a profound realization. Suddenly, I no longer linger in his shadow after his departure. This became my opportunity to rise above and instigate a drastic change within myself. Motivated by a newfound determination, I carried a chip on my shoulder, aspiring to demonstrate to myself how great I can truly be. 

The compelling need for a drastic change compelled me to summon the courage to try out for my high school basketball team. I always knew the “cool kids” played sports, only reasoning being my brother did so in highschool. Transitioning to a new high school felt like a fresh start; nobody knew me, and there were no preconceived expectations. These circumstances encouraged me to venture into something entirely new. However, this new experience would prove to be far from easy. With less than a summer's worth of practice, I faced the challenge of joining an already highly competitive D1 basketball program. Tryouts were nerve-wracking, and my lack of experience showed; I was telegraphing my every movement, and the discomfort was unlike anything I had felt before. The results were unsurprising, I found myself placed on the freshman team and the anxiety from tryouts persisted throughout the season. Before each game, I dreaded the feeling, minutes passing by only reinforcing my sense of not fitting in. Practices felt like hell on earth, the intensity of the running making me question if even the track team could keep up with us. Being a chubby freshman who was considered obese, experiencing excruciating conditioning, being at the lowest point and facing embarrassment actually fueled my courage. Looking back at the season, it had passed incredibly fast, and I did not get much playing time. Yet, the experience taught me invaluable lessons. I came to realize that the challenges I faced were normal and, in hindsight, would prove to be a crucial part of my growth.

The mental fortitude instilled in me by basketball provided newfound confidence in other sports. I felt unstoppable, having endured what felt like the worst. Fast forward to my senior year of high school, where the disruptive force of COVID halted all sports for two years. The lessons from basketball lingered, emphasizing the importance of keeping myself conditioned. Eager to play a sport in my senior year, I decided to explore something beyond basketball, seeking a new activity where I could truly excel. Through connections with the tennis coach, who also happened to be my PE teacher, I joined the tennis team. Simultaneously, encouraged by friends, I embraced another new challenge and became a multi-sport athlete by joining the football team.

As I attended practices, I found that everything seemed to come naturally to me. The trials and tribulations from my basketball experience had equipped me with the mindset and skills needed to learn something new and excel. Despite the discomfort, I pushed through, recognizing that this discomfort was a sign of growth. The football season unfolded, and despite the team facing challenges and unforeseen tragedies, we achieved memorable milestones for my High School. Personally, I secured a pivotal moment by recovering a game-winning fumble, leading to our first football victory in five years. In tennis, we went undefeated until the playoffs, reaching the open division a feat never before accomplished in our school's history. These achievements were recognized during the graduation ceremony, where both the tennis and football teams were announced, and I felt a profound sense of pride. My accomplishments were highlighted in the school newspaper for tennis, and I was featured among the front page of the school website. The culmination of my efforts and dedication across multiple sports made my senior year a truly unforgettable chapter of my high school experience.

All these moments of achievement made me feel a part of something for the first time; I no longer felt like an outlier but rather, I felt like I belonged. I transformed from an utter couch potato into a person I can genuinely be proud of. This singular moment in life taught me a lesson I never could have anticipated, which is the power of struggling. It's through each challenge and struggle that allows people to emerge stronger. I hold onto a quote from my basketball coach dearly, “You guys' better start loving what you hate.”. I appreciate his quote because it is the pain and suffering that actually fosters personal growth and is what we should learn to love. That growth mindset has shaped who I am today—a passionate and courageous individual with big dreams.  I've acquired lifelong friends, invaluable life lessons, and experiences that I wouldn't trade for anything. The long, grueling practices, competitive nature, and commitment are moments I will never forget. If you had asked my younger self if I would ever be a football player or a tennis player, I would have scoffed at the idea. Who could have guessed that my once boring life would have become so memorable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Bio